Friday, September 9, 2011

Review: Moon Called by Patricia Briggs,

MOON CALLED
(Mercedes Thompson, #1)
by Patricia Briggs

Summary:

Werewolves can be dangerous if you get in their way, but they'll leave you alone if you are careful. They are very good at hiding their natures from the human population, but I'm not human. I know them when I meet them, and they know me, too.

Mercy Thompson's sexy next-door neighbor is a werewolf.

She's tinkering with a VW bus at her mechanic shop that happens to belong to a vampire.

But then, Mercy Thompson is not exactly normal herself ... and her connection to the world of things that go bump in the night is about to get her into a whole lot of trouble.
Rated K+ for blood and violence



*Spoilers ahead, You've been warned. Read at your own risk*

Review:

Meet Mercy, our friendly neighbor who works as a VW mechanic. She is quite contented with her simple and 'normal' life. This includes living alone and owning up her garage from her former boss. Oh? Did I mention the fact that her boss is a former gremlin with a touch of glamour?


Now let's proceed with Mercy's so called 'normal' life. She's living in a quiet and peaceful neighborhood which is actually one of the territory of local werewolves pack. Nothing strange right? And she also has this handsome man as her neighbor who appears to be the alpha of that local werewolf pack in the area. Still normal? Now let's continue on with her peeps.

  • Local alpha pack hunk and his sizzling cronies (though, one of them is gay). Check!
  • Undercover agent. Check! (Who apparently has godlike skills in terms of working undercover. No one had ever figured him out when he is in his 'work' mode except for Mercy.)
  • Cute vampire owner of the mystery machine van. Check!
  • Former "self-proclaimed gremlin" boss. Check! (Actually, he's an iron-kissed fae.)
Now, as for Mercy. It seems that she, herself is also doing her best to be normal. Our Mercy here is a native american shapeshifter just like Adam (alpha) and his gang, except that she transforms into a coyote-- making her known as one of the infamous 'walker'. One who can shift easily, a sensitive, and has this unnatural power to resist magic. So far, Mercy is the only known living walker ever mentioned in this book. Most of the people..err...wolves and other beings who knows her secret believe that she is the last of her kind.
Anyway, while Mercy is having her normal life, which is working in her garage. A young boy came to her and ask for help. His name is Mac, a runaway wolf. Apparently, he is still unaware of his 'state' during that time. Later on, another group of wolves came hunting him down. Mercy, witnessing the event that is taking place in front of her, had no choice but to help and ends up killing one of the wolves. Afterward, she ask for Adam's help. So that's the time when things got messy for both Adam and Mercy. So that's all. If you want to know what happened to them, I advice you to go to your nearest bookstore and buy a copy of this book. Trust me. It's worth it.

So far, this is the best werewolf series that we had ever read. Kudos for Patricia Briggs for writing this excellent book. This series is very successful to the point that it even have its own comic series. All in all, as we read the book, slowly, we learn to love Moon Called's characters, especially Adam and Mercy. Oh Let's not forget Sam, who's Mercy's old flame. We really enjoy it whenever sparks fly between our two alpha werewolf (Adam and Sam) as they struggle for being dominant and also, for Mercy's love.
Anyway, I have here, one of my favorite quote from Moon Called. (this is the part where Mercy and the gang is about to enter a house full of vampires)

Reluctantly, I pulled out my necklace and showed it to them. Samuel frowned. The little figure was stylized; I suppose he couldn't tell what it was at first.
"A dog?" asked Zee, staring at my necklace.
"A lamb," I said defensively, tucking it safely back under my shirt. "Because one of Christ's names is ‘The Lamb of God.’"
Samuel's shoulders shook slightly. "I can see it now, Mercy holding a roomful of vampire at bay with her glowing sheep." I gave his shoulder a hard push; aware of the heat climbing to my cheeks, but it didn't help. He sang in a soft taunting voice, "Mercy had a little lamb..."

Lols. XD

PROS:
  • Well-written.
  • You'll definitely fall in love with the characters
  • The plot was good. It gives me a new insight about werewolves.
CONS:
  • None.. Oh wait. I think this book made me love the characters too much to the point that I was hoping that they were real. Which is unfortunately not. Thus, knowing that makes me wanna cry...

Lastly, here are my ratings

1. Cover -

2. Plot -

3. Character Development -

4. Over-all Rating -











1 comment:

  1. Seems like you really enjoyed this book. New follower. Come visit me over at Livre De Amour-Books of Love. I like your blog very much.

    ReplyDelete